Sunday, November 23, 2008

There aren't enough mint brownies to keep from eating my hand.

Here's the thing about the subconscious: I don't buy it. I obviously don't know that much about it but it seems a little too fantastical for me to swallow. If I do in fact have a subconscious making decisions without my consent, having thoughts without my being aware, and doing things in secret from my world of conscious thought, then I'm a little creeped out. It's like there's another person inside of me, someone who's keeping things from me. That's just plain weird. This idea sounds more like Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder).
Maybe I've got it all wrong. In fact this is highly likely. Obviously there are things that the body does without conscious thought like the beating of the heart, the maintaining of certain bodily functions that, were it up to actual conscious thought to initiate, we wouldn't last very long. But is that proof enough for the existence of a part of my mind that is doing things and influencing and motivating my decisions without my being aware of it? Just let the insanity sink in. I think I'm just tired so I'm talking crazy.

2 comments:

L.R.L said...

sometimes I go to your blog and just let the song play, as I go about my business.

That makes me happy, and it makes me feel like we've hung out...some call me crazy, but I just think I'm imaginative.

It's Me...shell said...

Maybe you're subconscious doesn't want you to know that you have one. So, subconsciously you know that there is a subconscious. :)